Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Spring Carnival of horse racing

With all the excitement of the Spring Carnival that sweeps Melbourne at this time of year, a new exhibition called 'Art Horses and Equine Art' is on show at Media House Gallery in Collins Street until the 16th November. When I was invited to participate in the show, the curator was specifically after at least one equine piece that had a racehorse theme... did I have anything... unfortunately, not! As I had a time restraint of less than 4 weeks and due to it's large size for the venue, I was unsure whether to take on the project or not. I decided I was up for the challenge as I feel it brings out strengths and weakness that lurk within. I had to approach my painting technique in a totally different way, no underpainting, just straight in with thick paint and little overpainting which I was keen to try in the forced situation. No time for noodling with colours, a good thing, make a decision and go for it! Not the way I have ever painted but excellent to experiment out of necessity. The painting was 36" x 48" and so was physically demanding at times but in some respects easier to work on using bigger brushes. My painting days were long and at times I painted on while being tired which I normally don't do and therefore found that quite challenging. With the days ticking away, I felt under a bit of pressure but managed to finish it in time, even though it was slightly wet on delivery. To sum up- I'm glad I took on the challenge as I learnt that I am adaptable in changing my painting ways for the situation, a bit like painting outdoors compared to the studio! Unhappy about having to rush it though and would have preferred to re-work some areas but glad that I was able to adapt to a change of pace!

"The Place-getters"  36" x 48"

No comments:

Post a Comment